A Great Start to the 2018-2019 School Year!
A new school year is here and we are ready to serve our 2,905 students! We would like to extend a welcome to the new school year to you and all of our students and families. The vision of our schools is to be “a district of excellence where students achieve their fullest potential” in an environment that treats all individuals with respect and as family members. We hope that you feel welcome while in our schools, and that this is the best school year ever for your family.
This year, you will find many changes that we hope provide the best school environment for your student and your family. We have focused on school safety as it is our number one priority. Among the changes you may have already seen are:
- A second School Resource Officer, Officer Alcorn.
- Upgraded cameras and secure entrances.
- The high school entrance has been redesigned.
- A new traffic pattern for drop off and pickup at Marr/Cook.
- A full-time mental health professional to support our students.
Other exciting changes include:
- A new lab coming in the new University of Cincinnati Informational Technology program at GHS.
- Laptop carts added to third grade so that all classrooms in grades 3-12 have a cart.
- The establishment of a new 9-12 blended learning community in the Ascend Academy.
This is going to be a great school year. One of the keys to a new school year is being involved in your child’s education and great communication.
There are many ways to get involved:
- Check with your student every day to see what their homework is and how school went.
- Check Progressbook for up to date progress on their academic performance.
- Attend school events from conferences to Open House to concerts to athletic activities.
- Volunteer to help as a member of PTO, the Athletic Boosters, the Music Boosters, The Goshen Education Foundation, or in your child’s classroom. For more information visit our web page or ask your child’s teacher or principal.
- Establish a relationship with your child’s teacher. Introduce yourself at Open House or by email. When you have questions or concerns, go to your child’s teacher. Email or call them. We love working with parents as partners! Send them positive notes as well!
- Chaperone school field trips or volunteer to help our at an evening event.
- Stay informed at what is going on at your child’s school.
How do you stay informed?
- Your child’s teacher will share how to best stay apprised of what is occurring in their classroom—web pages, Classdojo, email, paper newsletters, Friday folders
- Follow us on Facebook. Here you will find some notices of important events, photos of school activities, and a weekly listing of upcoming events.
- Each week you will receive a district email that includes a few newsworthy items
- Follow us on Twitter @GoshenLocal
- Visit our District web page at www.goshenlocalschools.org
- Look in the upcoming weeks for information coming out on the new Goshen Local Schools app!
It is going to be a great year and we look forward to serving you and your family!!